Sunday, November 4, 2007

How Do People Get To Your Site?

My basic rule of advice regarding optimizing one's site for the search engines is to decide what keywords you want associated with your site, see how your site ranks when these search terms are used and if you are not happy at the results at where your site ranks then you have to work on incorporating those search terms within the content of your site.

However this is not the end all be all as far as optimizing one's sites for the search engines. While there may be general search terms that you want your site to be associated with, your site will also come up when people are searching for information that is related to the content that is already on your site - even though it may not be any of the search terms that you have designated for your site.

Let me explain: I have another blog where I talk about free stuff that I have found on the internet. Some of it includes some very good software that you would otherwise have to pay a lot of money for. I mentioned about one of these programs on one of my blog posts and I can see from my traffic stats that I'm getting traffic from people that are looking for the program and that a link to my blog is showing up on page one of Google's search engine results when people are looking for a free version of this program that they can download.

So even though you may have certain search terms in mind that you want associated with your site so that you get a high search engine ranking, people can come to your site because of other information / contents that you have on your site as well.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home